Monday, January 14, 2013

The Final Countdown

Yes, an 80's song is the title for my final post before leaving, and I'm making the final preparations for that countdown. Unfortunately, organization has never been a strong suit for me and my brain is fried over micro managing every detail.  I'm trying to maintain a calm demeanor, but there are periods where I freak out.  

Take for instance, the airline tickets that have been purchased online from Skyscanner. Though thousands of dollars have been spent on gear and vaccines, there's something about buying airline tickets that made me a bit nervous, shaky nervous.  Maybe it's actually having a date set in stone and watching the days being marked off the calendar.  That a commitment has been made and there's no turning back now.

On the 26th of January, I'll be boarding a plane to fly to San Francisco and in three following days flying to New Zealand. Originally, there was no plan to spend anytime in the States, but seeing how most of the flights left from California, it only made sense to check out San Fransisco. The mere mention of San Francisco cues its attractions and of course the theme song to Full House. You can't pass up seeing the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, or going on a trolley tour.

Onward to New Zealand by the 30th, but I won't touch down until February 1st due to losing a day in travel and an additional day crossing the international date line.  My first few days will be spent in Auckland and from there Magic Bus will be the main mode of transportation over the North and South Islands.  Various routes are offered with the ability to enter and exit the buses as you please.  The pass is good for a whole year but a month will suffice for my stay. As far as lodging goes, it'll be a mix of camping, hostels, and  Couchsurfing.  At some point I'll get into Couchsurfing a bit more, but for now there's a video on the basics at the bottom of the post.   Money will be saved by buying food at grocery stores and cooking it at the hostels.  That money will be needed for all the activities that New Zealand has to offer, and it's quite a list, which I'll share when I have a few good pictures.


The route over the North and South Islands of New Zealand



An addition route that was added


The currency of New Zealand and Australia that was ordered at the bank



Australia, without a doubt, will follow New Zealand.  How long will I be there?  Who knows.  I don't want to think that far ahead.  No more micro managing.  It's at that point, you realize you're adding stress and loosing that adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment