Wednesday, January 30, 2013

San Francisco

My first day of travel was a bit rough.  Arriving in San Francisco at midnight wasn't the best idea, and I really didn't give it that much thought.  The BART rail system just finished the last run, and a taxi or shuttle would've cost a good bit. On top of that, I hadn't booked a place to stay, but knew where I was staying the following nights.  I chose instead to sleep at the airport until morning, and then venture into the city.

The airport was empty, except for the few stragglers in the same position as me.  Somehow they managed to sleep on chairs with armrests, and still haven't figured out how they pulled that off.  Not much sleep was had so I walked around an empty terminal and attempted to sleep.
The empty international terminal

Some mosaic artwork in the terminal


In the morning I boarded the Bart rail which is an extensive rail system.  There was no chance I was lugging my main pack around San Francisco all day. I did a quick Google search, and saw that the Chancellor Hotel was willing to hold bags for free, regardless if you were staying there.  They tagged my bag and gave me a stub and asked when I would be returning to claim it. 

Alcatraz was first on my list, so I wasted no time going to the ticket booth at Pier 33.  Normally you must book a ticket two weeks in advance, but being the off season I was able to buy a ticket and board immediately.  The pictures do a better job at depicting Alcatraz.
Leaving San Francisco

Arriving at Alcatraz

We were given a quick statement on rules and regulations



Alcatraz used to be Civil War base so there's some resemblance of a fort 

Guard Barracks

Sailboat circling the island

The workshop and machine shop


Water tower


One of the cell streets

The yard were inmates could go outdoors

The stairs to the yard

Another view of the yard

View the yard outside of a steel door

The hole

Control room

Golden Gate Bridge form Alcatraz

The warden's house

View of San Francisco

Warden's house from below
Returning to San Francisco I walked through Fisherman's Wharf as well as the Aquarium of the Bay.  During a walk through the wharf you can view a group of Sea Lions laying on docks.
Sea Lions

View from the wharf

Pier 43 Ferry Arch

An artist who works with spray paint

Soup in a bread bowl

Transamerica pyramid

Transamerica Pyramid

Dahntahn
 More to come, but my flight to New Zealand is boarding now, and I must go.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff, man. I want to check out Alcatraz next time I'm out there if I get the free time to do so. Did you happen to run into the guy in the "bushes" along the piers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, it's like we are traveling right along with you. The pics are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pics of alcatraz look just like that tv show! i wonder if they really filmed there! looks like you had a blast in ol san fran!

    ReplyDelete